Everything We Know About the 2022 Age Group Quarterfinals and Occupational Games
The final weekend of 2022 CrossFit Quarterfinals begins tomorrow with Teen and Masters Athletes competing for a chance to qualify for the first-ever Age Group Semifinals.
Remind me: This is the first year of the Age Group Quarterfinals and Age Group Semifinals format. Previously, these two were conjoined as the Age Group Online Qualifier that directly qualified athletes to the CrossFit Games.
The Occupational Games are also beginning tomorrow, in which the fittest CrossFit athletes across eight different professions compete to find out who amongst them is 2022’s Fittest Firefighter/Teacher/College Student/etc. on Earth.
- Athletes who qualify for, and wish to compete in, both the Age Group Quarterfinal and Occupational Games must register and pay registration fees for each competition, but will only need to film and complete the workouts once, according to the official invitation email from CrossFit.
- Scores must be submitted separately for each competition.
- Floor Plans are the same for both competitions.
Who advances to Age Group Quarterfinals? According to the CrossFit Games Rulebook, the top 10% were based on the number of athletes registered per age division (worldwide) at the close of 22.1, with a minimum of 200 invited athletes in each. This differs slightly from other divisions in that age group athletes are competing against their peers worldwide, rather than those in their continental regions.
In order to qualify for this weekend’s Age Group Quarterfinal, athletes needed to place at or higher than the placements below, worldwide:
|Age Group||Women – Top 10 % Cutline||Men – Top 10% Cutline|
|14 – 15||200||200|
|16 – 17||200||200|
|35 – 39||2,206||3,074|
|40 – 44||1,617||2,213|
|45 – 49||946||1,354|
|50 – 54||548||786|
|55 – 59||330||440|
|60 – 64||200||207|
- April 21 (12 p.m. PT): Workouts Released
- April 21 – 24: Age Group Quarterfinals
- April 22 12 p.m. PT: Workouts 1 and 2 submission deadline AND registration deadline
- April 23 12 p.m. PT: Workouts 3 and 4 submission deadline
- April 24 12 p.m. PT: Workout 5 submission deadline
- May 2: Age Group leaderboard finalized
- May 5: Invitations go out for Semifinals
- May 10-23: Registration Window for Age Group Semifinals
Note: CrossFit has informed athletes that penalties will be assessed AFTER the close of the Quarterfinals competition window.
Teens and Masters are expected to have access to all recommended Open equipment, as well as:
- 30 ft (9.14 m) of flat space
- 15 ft (4.57 m) climbing rope
- One dumbbell (varying in weight from 20-70lb by division)
- C2 Rower
- Gymnastics rings
- Squat rack
The top 30 athletes in each age group division will move on to the virtual Age Group Semifinals. From there, the top ten athletes in each division will earn their spots at the 2022 CrossFit Games.
- May 26 – 29: Ages 14-17, 35-49
- June 2 – 5: Ages 50-65+
As we have discussed, athletes are only able to compete in one Semifinal event regardless of age or division, which creates a decision point for athletes invited to multiple events (individual, team, or age group).
- That being said, athletes that competed in Individual and/or Team Quarterfinals are still eligible to compete in this weekend’s Age Group Quarterfinals, even if they have already accepted an invitation to an Individual or Team semifinal event. Athletes in the individual and age group divisions are eligible to be a member of a team during the Quarterfinal.
- CrossFit reported yesterday (April 20) that “a total of 19 women and five men will have to decide whether to compete in Semifinals as a master or individual,” and “there are some masters-aged athletes presently in potential backfill positions for the individual Semifinals.” Most notably so far is Samantha Briggs at the Strength in Depth semifinal in London.
Team Semifinal invitations are on their way out this Friday (April 22).
Adaptive athletes will have their time to shine in another first-ever Semifinals taking place virtually on June 2-5, 2022. Registration will open May 10-23 for the top 20 athletes from each adaptive division in The Open.
- What We Learned From Individual Quarterfinals
- Pacific Time Clock for Submission Deadlines
- Floor Plans for This Weekend’s Age Group Quarterfinals and Occupational Games
- Important Dates for the Remainder of the CrossFit Games Season (All Divisions)
- Equipment Lists for All 2022 Quarterfinals